Our History


The Bluffton Oyster Company building recognized as a historic structure during a recent survey, is as much a part of Bluffton’s history as the Card House and the Church of the Cross. Located at the end of Wharf Street on the pristine May River, it is built on shells from previous shucking operations over the last two hundred years.


The oyster business was “the” business of Bluffton up until the 1930’s with five different oysters gathering operations.